Dr. Alfonso Ramirez Ponce
PhD in Architecture from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)
An expert in economical construction techniques, employing traditional materials such as the common clay brick. Specialist in unsupported vaulted ceilings and rooves using the low cost "leaning brick" technique.
Professor and Guest Speaker
Alfonso Ramirez Ponce has imparted specialist architectural courses in all major cities of his native country, Mexico and has been invited to give lectures and guest speeches in universities and institutes in the following countries: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Ethiopia, French Antilles, Guatemala, Honduras, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Architectural design and construction
A hallmark feature of Alfonso Ramirez Ponce's designs is his passion for employing both traditional building materials and artisan craftsmanship in his life's works. The following traditional building materials have all been employed in his impressive design portfolio: brick and ferrocement (1969), wood and adobe (1979), reinforced ceramic (1988), bamboo (1998), earth -cement bricks (2001), plaster domes (2007), he has also used recycled materials such as palm and coconut wood and tin. His designs were a forerunner to "sustainable development" and to sustainable architecture.
A frequent theme for his workshops and lectures are self supporting and low cost brick vaulted ceilings and rooves. His principal concerns are habitability, modernity and ecomomics - all key factors which influence the attainment of regional architectural expression.
- The Armando Mestre medal. Awarded in 1995 by (MICON) Cuba's Ministry of Construction and (UNAIC) the National Union of Architects and Engineers in Cuba to architects and builders of social projects
- First prize. Awarded in 2001 for the Iberamerican competition on Technology transfer for everyday habitation, held by CYTED (Science and Technology for development ).
- First prize. Awarded the José Villagrán prize in 2002 for his essay on Mexican architecture.
- First prize. Awarded in 2002 at the 3rd Bianual Iberamerican in Engineering and Architecture: Category: Newspaper articles.
- Member of CONACULTA, the national system for the creators of art.
- Member of the National Academy of Architecture
- Book: Curves of Clay - The art of bulding brick vaults
- Toward an Ethiopian Architecture (in English)
- Regionalidad y Sustentabilidad: Arquitectura y Música (in Spanish)
- Arquitectura Propia: Cubiertas de Ladrillo Recargado (in Spanish)
- Curves of Clay (Bovedas de Barro) (in English)
- La Transformación del Programa en un Proyecto Arquitectónico (in Spanish)
- Modernità della Tradizione (in Italian)
- Curvas (Bovedas) de Suspiro y Barro (in Spanish)
- La Habitabilidad (in Spanish)
- La Palabra Diseño (in Spanish)
- La Palabra Arquitectura (in Spanish)
- Ladrillo Recargado - Exploring the Work of Alfonso Ramirez Ponce (by Michael Ramage)
- Poetic, Musical and Architectural Regionalism (in English)
20,326 visitors recorded prior to October 2011
Visitors since October 2011: 34811